Friday, June 5, 2009

On my last night in SF... And semi good riddance!

Hhhh-okay.

So, last night in this pretty, homeless-filled city. Not necessarily sad to see it go (or to watch myself go).

As I knew would happen, I never did end up writing every day. Pfft, I never even went online every day. This is good. I've found that I no longer have that DESPERATE OMG need to be online as much as I can.

So. I'll just mention the highlights.

The Bush Man
There's this man in SF famous for hiding behind a makeshift bush he'd constructed. He then proceeds to jump at the passersby. He jumped out at my mom. But when she didn't jump or scream or anything, he yells after her, "It's obvious you've been in a bush with a black man before!"

Yes, this was awesome. Great laugh. We saw him again tonight. But he didn't get us, lol.


Our Bad Luck with Buses
We seem to have a thing for getting on the wrong buses. Our first experience with this? We got on the F train going in the WAY WAY WAY opposite direction and ended up in... Well, not a horrible part of town, but definitely less-than-savory. Also lost an hour in the process because we didn't realize we'd headed the wrong way until the end of the line. Oops. However, out of this lovely experience, I got to sit next to a homeless man who had a lovely habit of talking to himself.

Our bad luck #2 came Monday. We boarded one of those hop-on, hop-off tourist double decker buses. Mmm hmmm. Yeah. Too bad we spent the whole day on the entirely wrong company. Yeah. Not just the wrong line. The wrong companys. Oops. At least we got a free day's ride, lol.

How I discovered what homeless people smell like
Yeah. Not pretty. A couple of them walked into a Subway and asked for forks. They sorta smelled like horse dung. It's sad because SF has it in its budget to put them all up in a hostile-like thing. But they don't like to be confined. As one social worker once put it, "You have the right to be crazy."

Foot massage, stranger?
Some random lady on the tour to Sonoma and Muir Woods saw my mom's foot wrapped (she sprained it somehow) and told her to take off her shoe. She then proceeded to massage my mother's foot. I don't freaking touch my mother's feet. But the stranger will? She was quite strange, that woman... And not wearing a bra...

The Roach
I almost ate a roach. Not really, of course. But today in Chinatown I bought a red bean custard no se que with que se yo in it. It looked good, at any rate.

Yeah. It wasn't.

It was going ok for the first couple bites. Then I realized there were hard things in it. So I start to take them out. Then I remove something that's in the shape of a roach. I mean, I knew it wasn't really a roach. But I was so traumatized that I threw out the pastry.

Cardboard Clothes
I walked into a shop in Chinatown and found that all the merchandise was made out of cardboard. Cardboard suits, cardboard dresses, cardboard jewelry, cardboard laptops, cardboard desktops, cardboard lingerie, cardboard shoes, etc etc. Mmm hmm. So... I'm thinking... "Perhaps it's for kids to play with?"

Yeah. No. Not so much.

The Chinese use these such objects to bury with their dead. As things that they'd enjoy in the afterlife.

Cool, no?

The Sea Lions!
So. The famous sea lions at Pier 39? Totally worth it. I loved them. Cute. Feisty. Wet. Kinda smelly and obnoxious.

They's my kind of creature. :)

Note: The sea gulls here are obese and on steroids. And somewhat frightening.

MEETING AMIE!!!!!
I met up with Amie. :) And her fiance David. Super sweeeeeeet. :) I'm just sad it was so short. :(

I'm looking forward to the wedding!!!

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that bush man made me laugh quite a bit. Also, I found the whole bus confusion awesome. Well, not awesome for you at any rate :).

    ReplyDelete